Saturday, October 11, 2014

where we live

Sometimes when we travel, we pass through podunk towns and I just have to wonder about the unfortunate souls who live in that dump. What do these poor people do?!?
Then, of course, I realize that other people must wonder that when they drive through our local towns. There is a dump to welcome you into town in one place. The other one has about 3 businesses to its name - and the drive through town isn't going to wow anyone. Assuming you notice you've even passed through a "town".
But somehow we've made a good life here. We have a little house on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere but it's a special place.
It was gutted when we got engaged so the house has grown with us. I see Jeremy's handiwork everywhere - over 100 trees planted, sheds torn down and rebuilt, the swing set built, the garden put in... I love it that the house has grown with us and shifted and changed just like our family.
We've filled the house with memories and kids. The house has given up its newness for busted light fixtures and dinged up walls and stained carpet. (None of that really gives me a thrill, to be honest.)
Here in the Midwest prairie, I found a spot that has a few gently rolling hills (if you're feeling generous anyway). I have a "view" unlike the county's northern "plain" sister.
This has been a long time in coming. I felt rudely uprooted when we left Ohio. Frankly, I never thought we would leave. Frankly, living out here never occurred to me. Frankly, it was not my choice and I hated it here - it was too flat and windy and the whole state smelled like pig poop.
It was quite an epiphany one dreary and dismal November day when I was driving down a flat country road, looking at the gray early winter landscape, to realize that this place was finally home to me. No matter how ugly and boring it was, it was where I belonged. (Transplants, take heart. I only lived here for 15 years before that happened!)

Just like me and my attitude...the house from what she was to what she is...

 Are you scared yet? The house was left vacant for about a year, I think, before Jeremy bought it and gutted it. Then it sat for a little while longer while he helped his brother build his house. The sad face of neglect here...


I love the little poser in this picture...much more than the transformation. And I love that a lot.



Hello, home.
The sign of promise - the Lord has blessed us here.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your place is beautiful. I love the snow and rainbow shots!

    ReplyDelete