I seldom share something as personal as my memories about my dad - it's just hard for me.
But Jeremy and I have been doing a parenting Bible study so I can't help but think about my parents parenting techniques as we talk about things.
And two teachable moments about my dad keep coming to mind.
I hate my chin. Always have. I was in grade school when I remember whining to my dad about how much I hated my it. And he told me, "A strong chin means a strong woman."
I don't know if he ever knew how perfect of a reply that was. It would have been useless to try to convince me it wasn't ugly. And now I've gone for a long time thinking that it's better to be strong than it is to be pretty. Someday, if Madeira has similar struggles, I hope I take the time to address her little heart with such good advice.
Then there was the ordeal of me being in Brownies in 3rd grade. I really, really, REALLY wanted to be in Brownies. So as I was begging my parents to let me, I started crying. And my dad caved. I got to be in Brownies for a year. When my siblings tell this story, they make me sound like a conniving little wench. When I think about it, it makes me think of a tenderhearted man who was moved by the want of his little girl.
Listen to your children. Care about the things that make their little hearts beat faster. Because some day those little things will turn into big things. And you'll still need to care and listen.
I'm so thankful I was given such a good man as a dad. Actually I can't be thankful enough.
![]() | |
| What a man! |
![]() | |
| I have no idea how many books Dad read to us over time. And, those green shoelaces are awesome! |
![]() |
| This is why he did such a good job reading to us. |



For the record, I still can't believe you got into Brownies.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, I enjoyed thinking about our hours listening to Grand Ole Opry records. Touching how a father's prayer can still affect his children after he is gone.
Lastly, we were given so many gifts: a father who treated our mother with respect and love, gave us time when he could, and was a good example of faithfulness, commitment, and perseverance.
Thanks for sharing.
My dad would agree with you - your dad was his best friend when they were young! =)
ReplyDeleteForgot to mention - my dad just told this story in Sunday school, how him and your dad were playing cows out in the pasture after dark. (Though he still isn't sure how two six year olds were allowed out with no supervision!) He said that the moon came up and looked very red. The two of them ran scared as can be towards the house, sure it was the end of the world! It was a cute story and got a lot of chuckles! =)
ReplyDeleteYour dad was such a good example of a faithful, compassionate man! I remember before I was announced for peace, Andy Stoller asked me if I had went back to everyone, and I said I had not went back to Wendell Dotterer. I had something that needed resolved, so on Saturday I fearfully went unannounced and knocked on the door. He was so gracious and encouraging and made me feel so much better. I always enjoyed your family at Smithville and was sad you moved away, but God knew where you needed to be. Love your posts.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your kind words about my dad and stories that I've never heard - it warms my heart to think of how all our lives can touch each other in small but beautiful ways!
ReplyDelete