I believe I may have mentioned having some unwanted flab in a previous post or possibly posts. So I've been exerting some effort to eat healthier, if for no other reason than it may make it so that I don't have to really exercise. I am so uninspired to jog around or run or what-have-you.
Breakfast seemed like the easiest place to start a change in my diet so I have pretty much stopped eating cereal and now alternate between green smoothies and peanut butter granola with greek yogurt.
In testament to how good this granola is, Jeremy's late night snack last night was granola in a glass of milk. (You can see why the diet thing might be a little slow in coming around here, what with all the snacking that goes on.) And I think he even ate it with some yogurt this morning. This from a guy who, up until now, said he hated yogurt.
Recipe is from my oft referred to Sterling Cookbook
Peanut Butter Granola
10 c. old fashioned oatmeal
1 c. wheat germ
1 c. sunflower seeds
1 c. coconut (the recipe says optional but I don't see it that way. It's a must!)
1/2 c. oil
1 c. honey
1 t. vanilla
2 c. crunchy peanut butter
4 c. raisins (optional, and I agree with that)
Mix together oatmeal, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, and coconut in a large bowl. Mix oil and honey in a small saucepan and heat gently. Remove from heat and add vanilla and peanut butter. Pour over rolled oat mixture, mix well, and place in shallow baking sheets. (Must have rims though.)
Bake at 225 for 1 hour; stir after 30 minutes and again at the end of baking. Add raisins if you want.
It is good stuff and I happen to have wheat germ in my freezer!
ReplyDelete