Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Motherhood





Smirk! I was just delighting myself reading some smitten kitchen posts, specifically one about vanilla bean pear sauce for the baby which attracted my attention since I have some pears rattling around in the frig. Anyway some clever Alice left a comment about how she hopes to be a "hippie dippie" mom making her own baby food but will more likely count being vertical and coherent as a victory. I thoroughly enjoyed that as I feel rather like that this am. I had some big goals about getting up early and getting things DONE today. Alas River decided to wake up around 1:00 and eat. Then he slept in bed with me until 4:00 when I decided he really needed to get back in his crib. I finally got him to stay sleeping at 5:00. Then I was too awake to sleep myself (I really should have got up at this point and started roasted the squash, I know. I just kept thinking I would fall asleep at any moment.) and Riv woke up at 5:45. I gave up and let him stay in bed at that point.
Jeana came over and worked on coating more ceiling with me last night. I only have about half the boards left to coat. :) Jeremy told me yesterday that all the corbels need two coats of paint now. Ugh.
After working with Jeana yesterday, I was so glad to have my own sisters. Not that there's anything wrong with her, I just realize that I need girls who are like me :) and that I can yammer to about interesting things. So part of the reason I couldn't sleep last night is because I had this feeling that God, being perverse, would take away the people that I love the most. I couldn't stop obsessing over it, even though I know that God is not perverse. Oh, the thoughts that control one's mind in the wee hours of the morning.

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, every once in awhile, I let myself entertain thoughts of life without the people I love most. I usually cry (yes, I do cry sometimes) and then think how stupid to cry over something that hasn't even happened.

    On a different note, my kids are selling butter braid if anyone wants any. Let me know by the 12th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I looked at these new pictures of River, I realized how quickly (and how much) you can love someone.
    Maybe we're more aware of how the loss of someone you love can change your life since we lost Dad.
    It's a good reminder to love like it's the last day we'll be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, Brooke, Gary, Betsy, and not sure who else are going to be here tonight to work on the house. Trying to figure out what to make for supper, assuming that everyone would be here.
    I should start cleaning up the place for the openhouse tomorrow. I need to package up some saw blades for Mr. Social. I need to work on making some pecan tassies and lemon bars for our snack for the openhouse. Why did I think I'd get bored being at home all day? Oh yeah, I need to paint the second coat on the corbels and go to the turkey farm this am. So yes, I should get my rear in gear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, Jerm is signed in to google. Clearly, I am not Mr. Social.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, i wondered. can't wait to see the porch. i will be home next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What weekend is that? Halloween?
    I found this Mark Twain blurb from his autobiography that I thought was hilarious:
    "My mother had a good deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it. She had none at all with my brother Henry, who was two years younger than I, and I think that the unbroken monotony of his goodness and truthfulness and obedience would have been a burden to her but for the relief and variety which I furnished in the other direction. I was a tonic. I was valuable to her. I never thought of it before, but now I see it."
    And David Baldacci has a new book out on Oliver Stone called "Hell's Corner".

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quote does remind me of three sons of mine. Which weekend are you coming home, Jen? How was your weekend with your bro, cousins?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happily digging through recipes today. Riv is sleeping peacefully - he woke up a very happy little babykins this morning. Hopefully he will repeat that for his nap. :)
    The newest Flor catalog is making ME a very happy person today.
    Listening to Rush. Learning all kinds of things for free. :) Jeremy will be proud of me. Sipping some french vanilla cappuccino. Doing laundry. I will need to do some light cleaning. Even having a weiner roast cannot keep people out of your house. Sadly. Maybe I should bring a port a pottie to the next one.
    Mom, did you find one of the cake idea that you liked or should I think of some more ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who was all at the weiner roast? How many children were there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buck & the 3 oldest kids, Kraig & Carrie, Kevin & Jodi, Andy & Val, Matthew & Katie, Jeff & Sarah, Craig & Leah, Nate & Paula, Adam & Rachel. There were around 20 adults and 30 kids or something like that.

    ReplyDelete