Wednesday, March 24, 2010





Well, Wes, I'll see if I can put some interesting information on this post for you.
Green smoothie time. I made some after work today for me and Jen to take to Champaign tomorrow morning. I didn't have any bananas though so I substituted strawberries, making it not quite so green. Anyway, it will be even more delicious like this.
The fire trucks at our house would be Jeremy's doing. He was burning the pasture and things got a little out of hand...Nothing structural burnt though. A couple of the fire trucks got stuck in the field so it was a good thing Jeff Mueller was around with a backhoe to keep them moving. I was under strict instructions not to put anything about this on the blog but considering the fact that at the Leman cousin get together last night, we talked of little else, I'm guessing he won't be able to help himself. He'll talk about it. So your instructions are NOT TO MENTION IT tomorrow night and see if he brings it up.
I swung by Strawberry Fields in Urbana yesterday and got my kale and some strawberries. I was quite frankly, not impressed with their berries. The blueberries looked pathetic really. I took a picture of these cool tea canisters. They could be repurposed for so many cool things, right ladies? SF has a large selection of beauty supplies too - and even more beautiful were the free samples. I snagged a vanilla and blood orange body milk - smelled divine.
Also yesterday, I had the foresight to take some leftovers to work for lunch. So did Alaa. I have no idea what the names of his stuff are but the round thing was good. It's sticky rice with spices wrapped around turkey (ground and fried) and almond slices and then it's fried. The flat thing was some kind of bread dough with ground lamb and herbs mixed together. It was a little heavy on the parsley so I wasn't a fan. We shared some with Seka and Alla (the Russian) and this morning Alla told me "thank God" I put the Italian beef on the plate since she didn't like the other stuff. :)
Russians have a saying, according to Alla, that says something like, "You don't wait until you're on the toilet to look for the paper. You get that first." This came up yesterday because the bistro, at around 11, realized that they needed hummus. For lunch. That day. As it happened, we didn't have any chickpeas at the bakehouse so Seka had to run to the bistro and get some and then bring them to Alaa so he could get hummus made in time and then run the hummus back over. Such is life at Pekara.

15 comments:

  1. Hilarious about the fire trucks. Nobody on the Forrest Fire Department will call 911. They will drag themselves half dead to the ER or let their house burn down. Tiffany called 911 when she cut her finger and they will never let her forget it. I ate lunch at LIT with Mom and Jenna. Had some delicious meatloaf. Never have I put delicious and meatloaf in the same sentence, but it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be something with burning ditches, I came home with Marv's chisel plow to level ruts and the field around Perry's house was on fire. Being the responsible fine gent that I am I went over and helped put the fire out. FFD (fairbury fire department) was called out and help put the fire out as well. Apparently Doug Stephens was burning flood trash and the wind blew it out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now see Alex's post, Shara? That's a fine example of succinct, concise communication that I can read in a short amount of time and still feel that then ten seconds that it took to skim a few words from each paragraph was worth my time. It was exciting and full of energy, sans recipes, food and foreigner names, and probably complete and utter bilgerot. But interesting. So interesting. And that's key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bilgerot. Honestly, I am a veritable fountain of interesting info and utter coolness.
    Too bad you won't be able to join us tonight at B & L's for supper. Har!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope y'all are having a more boring week than I am. Someone is threatening to sue me (although not to my face); (sigh) it was just about a year ago that we were being threatened with same by the guy who freely inhabited our house...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That punk of a mooch is still trying to suck you and brain dry?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, not the same guy. I meant, he also threatened to sue us. This time it's a student.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh please. It's not that little dunce that lied on her time sheet is it? Call up your lawyer sister. :) I'm sure she'll get you all hooked up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why do people try to blame others for their own mistakes, lies, etc.? You might as well admit that you were speeding, ran a red light, lied on your time sheet, or whatever!!! I'll probably get pulled over by a cop tomorrow because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got notified that my whole body scan came back clear! This means I can eat whatever I want which excites me even more than the clear scan. I think. Now, I have another appointment in 2 wks to get the results of my blood test - and if that's clear, too, life is good. Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did Wes just post, "So happy, Lis!" Seems unlike him. Anyway...new post coming very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete